Established in 1956, Our Lady Queen of Peace has always been strong with deep roots and traditon. For 59 years, Our Lady Queen of Peace has exemplified the church in the way it has ministered and responded to the needs of Wichita Falls.
A horse, calf, and chickens roamed through the orchard of apple and plum trees on Joseph H. Littleken’s ten -acre property facing Colquit Street in Wichita Falls, Texas. In October 1951, this property was purchased for Our Lady Queen of Peace school and church. York Street bordered these ten acres on the south. Lansing Boulevard bordered the west and a fence bordered the north and east. the work began with Monsignor Richard Daly as General Chairman and Charles B. King as Chairman of the Building Project. It is this rich tradition of overcoming adversity and challenges that brings us to another pivotal time in the life of our parish.
Our Lady Queen of Peace began as a mission of Sacred Heart Catholic Church in 1954 with Mass first celebrated in the parochial school gymnasium. On April 6, 1956, Our Lady Queen of Peace was established as a parish in the Diocese of Ft. Worth. While no one could have conceived it at the time, this gymnasium would be home to and serve the people of the parish for the next 53 years.
Although the planning for a new sanctuary began in 1973, the parishioners elected to renovate the gymnasium into a suitable worship space. Postponing the new building would allow Our Lady Queen of Peace to focus resources on Catholic education and other outreach ministries. This would be the first of a long series of delays in building a new worship space for the sake of ministry to the community.
In the summer of 1985, the worship space was remodeled. Again, this was to be a short-term fix until a new space could be built. The next two decades would bring growth and ministry opportunities that would continue to take priority, further delaying plans for a new sanctuary. The primary goal still remained to provide a Catholic education for the Wichita Falls community, but other local ministries also needed our help. These included the Senior Citizen Center, Rachel’s Vineyard, Interfaith Ministries, Sisters of St. Mary, Christmas in action, Rathgeber House, Taft Counseling Center, First Step, Pregnancy Help Center, Medical Missions in Philippines, Alpha Program, Halfway House, and disaster aid to Tsunami and Hurricane Katrina victims. Our Lady Queen of Peace has responded with leadership and compassion to the community through many challenging times.
There has been a tremendous spiritual and physical growth in the parish since the doors opend in April of 1956. Blessings abound with many parishioners having served the parish through their personal commitment, sacrifice and action. Because of limited space in the present church, the need to provide adequate worship space and facilities for the present and future generations of Catholics in Wichita Falls became an immediate concern. Building the new church has put the long-time dreams of many into reality: A modern, more spacious place of worship to nourish our faith community and be a blessing to succeeding generations. On Jan,29, 2014 we broke ground for our new Family Life Center and was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Olson on April 12, 2015. Our Lady Queen of Peace stands on the shoulders of the leaders who began the parish 59 years ago. The parish, services and ministries experienced and enjoyed today are a result of the sacrifices of those who have gone before us.
By the grace of God and the many people who have given of their time, talent, and treasure over the years, we give heartfelt thanks for our new church home and the completion of our new Family Life Center. Let each of us continue our mission to grow in holiness and love, and to serve one another as we continue to have a personal relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, through word, prayer, and example, centered on the Eucharist.